Seite drucken
Bad Schussenried

Built as a Romanesque basilica with nave walls

St. Magnus Abbey with its splendidly carved choir stalls by Georg Anton Machein (1717) was built in the year 1185 as a Romanesque basilica with nave walls and continuously adapted over the centuries through changing stylistic periods. The choir stalls (1715 - 1717) from the Überlingen workshop of G. A. Machein contain depictions from the irrational mythological world of fauna and flora and from the mystical realm of vices and demons.

Holy statutes evoke male and female founders of the holy order. The back panel shows biblical reliefs embodying figures from the Old and New Testaments.

Monastery museum

The monastery museum displays over 800 years of monastery history.The treasures are housed in the beautifully preserved north wing of the cloister, in the convent library on the floor above it and in the adjoining upper vestry. These are treasures which belonged to the Premonstratensians until the secularisation of the monastery as an imperial abbey, only thereafter to be condemned to partial oblivion. The showpieces are stored in Baroque cabinets and display cases in order to preserve them for future generations to admire.

On display

Paintings, including old views of the monastery and two especially valuable pictures by Johann Zick, the father of ecclesiastical fresco painting, as well as paraments, mitres and vestments. There are also precious scripts such as the famous "Silver Book" and valuable prints,

Not to mention some of Schussenried’s church treasures, including the Late Gothic Staff of Magnus. In addition to this, there are several memorials and a large number of sculptures and reliefs, crucifixes, Madonnas, pietas, saints, and much more.

http://www.bad-schussenried.de//en/culture/st-magnus-abbey