Zum Inhalt springen (Enter drücken),
Suchfeld fokusieren,
Zur Inhaltsübersicht,
,

deeng
Link zur GebärdenspracheLink zur leichten SpracheIconBürgerserviceportal
Zellersee
Zellersee

The first documented mention

"Shuozenried" was documented for the first time in the year 1153. However, several traces of even earlier settlement have been found. A camp used by Paleolithic hunter-gatherers was unearthed in 1866, making it the first Paleolithic find in Central Europe. Neolithic marsh and lake-dwelling villages were discovered in the late 19th century during excavations in the reeded marshland of the Federsee Lake near Aichbühl, about 1.5 km to the north of the Schussenquelle spring.

Premonstratensian monastery

The Premonstratensian monastery was founded by local lords Konrad and Beringer in the year 1183. The abbey was granted many privileges, such as that of high jurisdiction (power over life and death) in the year 1521. This meant that the abbots had not only not a crosier but also a sword on their crest. The clerical chapter oversaw the fortunes of the monastic community until the secularisation of 1803.

The appellation "Bad"

Bad Schussenried has always been a place where people enjoy being. Over the centuries the town of "Suzzenried" has grown from the parish village that sprung up after the founding of the Premonstratensian monastery into a sizeable market town. Schussenried was given town status in 1947 and declared a "Bad" (spa) in 1966.

The town crest of Bad Schussenried

It is thought that the town crest - a twin-tailed red lion facing left on a (heraldic) silver shield - was originally created by the Schussenried Abbey. The lion is the apocryphal crest figure of the Lords of Schussenried. Having previously appeared on the crest of the Premonstratensian Abbey in Schussenried as a clue to the monastery’s founders, the lion has long been a feature of community seals. The present form of the crest was approved by the district council after Schussenried was granted town status in 1948.

Flag: red and white

Traditional to the core

The serenity of the landscape and the prosperity and learning which once emanated from the monastery have left a mark on the people and the history of the town and its surroundings. Wherever you go in this town with its cosy, rustic character, you will feel a strong sense of tradition and see signs of its chequered history. Enjoy the proverbial Upper Swabian hospitality and a sense of being welcome.